Collagen is an abundant protein found in our body to work for our skin, bones, cartilage, eyes, digestive system, and hair. It is a substance that holds our whole body together. Collagen is also available on the market in various forms.
Let’s dive in to see what collagen does to our bodies. What are its benefits and side effects?
What is collagen?
Collagen is a protein naturally produced in our bodies and is found in skin, muscles, tendons, bones, ligaments, and more. Fibroblasts produce it and appear as a triple helix structure. Moreover, 30% of the total protein mass in humans comprises collagen.
Benefits of Collagen
There are several health benefits that collagen has in our body.
Collagen is a protein that supports skin, joints, nails, teeth, hair, and liver health. It can also help with weight loss, muscle mass, strength, and metabolism. Collagen peptides are a supplement that can improve collagen production and reduce osteoarthritis symptoms.
Here are the various benefits of Collagen
Benefits of Collagen for Men
- Improve skin health by increasing hydration, elasticity, and firmness and reducing wrinkles and sagging.
- Enhance muscle mass and strength by stimulating protein synthesis and preventing muscle breakdown.
- Support joint health by reducing pain, stiffness, and inflammation
- Promote gut health by strengthening the intestinal lining and preventing leaky gut syndrome
Benefits of Collagen during Pregnancy
- Reduces stretch marks by improving the skin’s elasticity and hydration.
- Reduce postpartum hair loss and breakage by strengthening the hair follicles.
- Heal wounds and tissues by promoting the growth of new cells.
- Support the baby’s brain development, both in and out of the womb, if you choose to breastfeed.
- Supports the immune system and hormone production.
- Ease joint pain and improve bone health by providing cushioning and structure.
Benefits of Collagen during Breast-Feeding
- It may also support the brain development of the baby if you choose to breastfeed
- Support the development of skin, bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels, and organs.
- Enhance brain function and cognitive abilities.
- Improve gut health and immunity.
- Prevent or reduce allergies and eczema.
Benefits of Marine Collagen
- Delays aging signs, like wrinkles, sagging skin, and joint pain, by stimulating collagen production.
- A more suitable option for people with religious, ethical, or health concerns about using collagen from pigs or cows.
- Environmentally friendly and sustainable, as it uses the by-products of the fishing industry that would otherwise be wasted.
- Higher bioavailability and absorption than other sources of collagen, as it contains smaller peptides that can easily enter the bloodstream.
However, the evidence for the effectiveness of marine collagen as a supplement or a topical product is still limited and inconclusive.
Benefits of Collagen Hyaluronic Acid Complex
It may benefit your skin, joints, and wounds. Some of the possible benefits are:
- Promote healthier, supple skin by increasing moisture, elasticity, and collagen production.
- Speed up wound healing by regulating inflammation, stimulating blood vessel formation, and preventing infection.
- Relieve joint pain by lubricating the cartilage and reducing inflammation.
However, more research is needed to confirm its effectiveness and safety.
Benefits of Collagen Serum for Skin
Collagen serum may have several benefits for your skin, such as:
- Hydrate and nourish your skin by attracting and retaining moisture
- Support your skin’s lipid barrier, which protects it from environmental damage and dehydration
- Increase firmness, tightness, and elasticity by stimulating collagen production and preventing collagen breakdown
- Providing antioxidant protection by neutralizing free radicals that can cause oxidative stress and premature aging
- Reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging by smoothing and plumping your skin
Collagen serum can be applied to your face and neck after cleansing and toning and before moisturizing. You can use it twice daily, in the morning and at night, for optimal results.
Benefits of Collagen in Coffee
Adding collagen to coffee may provide some extra health benefits, such as:
- Improving skin complexion by stimulating collagen production and reducing wrinkles.
- Balancing blood sugar levels by providing a source of protein that can slow down the absorption of caffeine and sugar.
- Enhancing gut health by supporting the intestinal lining and preventing inflammation.
- Boosting energy and mood by providing amino acids that can help produce neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine.
However, the evidence for the effectiveness of collagen in coffee is still limited and inconclusive.
3 Types of Collagen
- It is the most significant protein type.
- It helps with our skin’s elasticity and hydration.
- It helps to prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
- It adds excellent strength and support to nails, teeth, hair, and bones.
- It is mainly found in cartilage.
- It greatly supports the health of your spinal discs and eyes.
- It also helps form the structure of your body.
- It is critical for gut health.
- It forms the outmost layer of articular cartilage.
- It helps to support your joints.
- It is a crucial component of your intestine, muscles, and blood vessels.
The Basics of Collagen
We have made some critical points about collagen to make it simple and easy to understand.
Let’s check to understand things better:
- Collagen is mainly found in our bones, skin, and connective tissue.
- As you age, the production of collagen in your body reduces.
- The decline of collagen in our bodies can also be caused by smoking or exposure to UV light.
- There is no evidence that cosmetic lotion can increase collagen in our skin.
- Collagen helps mend new skin cells or wound sites, known as collagen dressing.
Collagen Side Effects
In many studies, it has been found that collagen is safe to consume, yet there are some potential side effects for our bodies. It includes:
- If you are allergic to milk or fish, you may have an allergic reaction to collagen. It may give rise to a hypersensitivity reaction. Therefore, it is essential to ensure the source of your collagen.
- It can leave a bad taste in your mouth. Some collagen peptides come in a flavorless and natural form that gives some individuals a horrible taste after consumption.
- The high calcium concentration in marine collagen can increase the calcium level in the body. This is particularly true in shark cartilage.
5 Collagen-Rich Foods
Fish contain a large amount of collagen, and it is slightly easier to absorb and digest. It is also the best source for your healthy, glowing skin, derived from marine collagen, like mackerel, salmon, tuna, etc.
The first thing one could imagine having for breakfast is a single, hardboiled egg. It’s a good source of protein that improves skin elasticity and regeneration.
Meat contains a good amount of amino acids that help build cell growth in the body. It is a prominent source of collagen in the market today, containing abundant protein.
Bone broth is a good source of collagen in the body. It is a health-boosting food for healthier bones. You can use bone broth to make a delicious soup or try other recipes.
Nuts contain the highest dietary source of collagen protein. You can add your favorite nut to any health drink or smoothie to make it healthier for your body.
The top three collagen supplements
As you age, your body requires collagen supplements to gain potential benefits. It helps to improve skin appearance, strengthen fingernails, aid in joint pain relief, and many other things.
Let’s look at some of the best collagen supplements on the market today:
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
Containing 20g of collagen in a double-scope serving, it has both Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid to benefit the skin’s appearance. It is a product that is certified kosher.
Natural Force Marine Collagen Peptides
It is a marine-derived collagen peptide best used for treating hair, nails, and skin. Fish is the only ingredient used in this product. However, if you are allergic to fish, you must avoid it immediately.
Trunature Healthy Skin Verisol Collagen
It is a lab-tested, approved product with promising, healthy, glowing skin results. It contains 2.5g of collagen per capsule. It is recommended to consume 4 capsules per day to get the desired result.
Benefits from Hydrolyzed Collagen
Do you know the difference between collagen and hydrolyzed collagen? The hydrolysis collagen process breaks the collagen into smaller particles known as collagen peptides. It is often used more quickly and easily.
Let’s look at its potential benefits:
- Easy to digest compared to traditional protein powders.
- It is a quick-acting agent that is easily absorbed into the body.
- It improves both skin texture and elasticity.
- It aids in weight loss management.
To conclude, we can say that collagen is safe to consume. The side effects are relatively mild and negligible. In most adults, collagen consumption poses no risk to health.