In the world of fitness, people have a misconception about cardio fitness. Most people consider cardio workout to mean only fat loss, whereas cardio mainly strengthens your heart and respiratory system.
You all must have heard about cardio exercise. These workouts are essential for your whole body and help you lose weight quickly.
Table of Contents
Why is Cardio Fitness Important?
Cardio is essential for heart functioning, and it increases the heart rate so that you reach the stage where you burn fat and calories very fast.
We are all very busy in our lives. Whether we study or work, we hardly find time for our bodies, which is not quite right. You must understand the importance of exercise in your day-to-day life.
Research says exercising at any time of the day is beneficial and helps control weight. Cardio exercise is one of the best exercises to lose weight.
Cardio Fitness and Aging
Cardio fitness can
- Slow cardiovascular aging by relaxing blood vessels and making the heart run more efficiently.
- Reverse damage to sedentary aging hearts by improving the VO2 max, the maximum amount of oxygen the body can use during exercise.
- Lengthen telomeres and increase telomerase, essential for cellular aging and regenerative capacity.
- Increase the formation of neurons and reduce cognitive changes associated with aging.
- Lower blood pressure and improve heart functions, preventing or delaying the onset of heart failure and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Enhance metabolism and reduce body fat, lowering the risk of diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- Boost the HDL (\”good\”) cholesterol and lower the LDL (\”bad\”) cholesterol and triglycerides, which can protect the arteries from atherosclerosis and stroke.
- Improve breathing and lung ventilation, which can prevent or reduce the decline of respiratory function with aging.
- Increase muscle-building and strength, improving balance, joint mobility, and bone density.
- Reduce inflammation and oxidative stress linked to aging and chronic diseases.
What are Cardio Exercises?
Cardio is a short name for cardiovascular exercise that increases heart rate and breathing. Many activities are included in cardio workouts, and the best cardio exercises are running, jumping rope, swimming, cycling, stair climbing, etc. These exercises are very effective in reducing weight.
Improving Cardio Fitness
Research has revealed how many calories people burn during different activities.
- For instance, if you weigh 180 pounds (75 kg), you can burn about 300 calories in 30 minutes of walking or jogging moderately.
- Running briskly at 6 mph, you’ll burn about 365 calories in 30 minutes.
But many people do not know how much cardio they should do to lose weight.
Some of the best ways to improve cardio fitness are:
- Perform at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise per week, such as walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, or dancing.
- Incorporate high-intensity interval training (HIIT) into your routine, which involves alternating short bursts of intense activity with more extended recovery periods. HIIT can improve your VO2 max, which measures how much oxygen your body can use during exercise.
- Do strength training exercises at least twice weekly, increasing your muscle mass, metabolism, and endurance.
- Try different cardio exercises to challenge your body and prevent boredom, such as skipping rope, boxing, rowing, or climbing stairs.
- Monitor your heart rate to ensure you work optimally for your fitness goals.
Increasing fat loss and boosting metabolism
If you want to lose 1 pound weekly, stick to 2,500 calories daily.
Tip– If you are doing cardio on an empty stomach in the morning, add carbs to your diet, providing energy in the long run. Also, remember, you can and should consume protein with all-day meals.
How Much Cardio To Lose Weight And Fat?
According to a Harvard Medical School article, cardio is essential for adults, the elderly, and the disabled.
Here is a short, pointwise guide to increasing fat loss and boosting metabolism:
- Eat more protein. Protein has a high thermic effect, requiring more energy to digest and absorb than other macronutrients. Protein also helps build and preserve muscle mass, which is metabolically active and burns calories even at rest.
- Drink more water. Water is essential for many metabolic processes, such as transporting nutrients and oxygen, regulating body temperature, and eliminating waste products. Drinking water can also increase your burn calories by temporarily boosting your metabolic rate.
- Do high-intensity interval training (HIIT). HIIT is a form of exercise alternating between short bursts of intense activity and periods of lower-intensity recovery. HIIT can increase your fat-burning potential by stimulating the production of hormones that promote fat breakdown, such as adrenaline and growth hormones. HIIT can also improve your aerobic and anaerobic fitness, enhancing your metabolic efficiency.
- Lift weights. Resistance training can increase your muscle mass, the main determinant of your resting metabolic rate. Muscle tissue requires more energy than fat tissue, so the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn throughout the day. Lifting weights can also create excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC), which means your body continues to burn calories at a higher rate for hours after your workout.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is crucial for your metabolic health, affecting your hormones, appetite, and energy levels. Lack of sleep can disrupt the balance of hormones that regulate your hunger and satiety, such as leptin and ghrelin, making you more likely to overeat and store fat. Sleep deprivation can also lower your metabolic rate and impair your insulin sensitivity, which can increase your risk of obesity and diabetes.
Benefits of Improving Cardio Fitness
- Helps burn fat and calories.
- Makes the heart more robust so that it does not have to work hard to pump blood.
- Increases lung capacity.
- Reduce the risk of heart attack, high cholesterol, blood circulation, diabetes, cancer, etc.
- Provides temporary relief from tension, depression, and anxiety.
- Helps sleep better.
- Improves immunity
- Gives more confidence in how you look and feel.
- Helps increase bone density.
How to include and improve cardio fitness?
You can reach your cardio goals with 10 or 15 minutes of workouts throughout the day. For example, walking 10 minutes before breakfast, 10 minutes during lunch break, and 10 minutes after dinner can benefit you. Gradually increase to 150 minutes a week.
You can cut your workout time by half if you are out and fit. You can do cardio and heavy workouts only for 75 minutes a week.
Cardiovascular Exercise Examples
- Stationary Bikes
- Elliptical Trainer
- Rowing Machine
- Stair Climber
- Jumping Rope
- Circuit Training
Types of Cardio Exercises For Weight Loss
We can keep ourselves healthy by keeping our weight under control. If our body is unhealthy, we cannot do any work properly. So be sure to try the following five workouts.
Running is beneficial
It is an essential cardio exercise. If you want to lose weight, running is a must for you; it helps reduce and burn fat and calories from your body. If you are doing this for the first time, you should run for a short time, increasing the running time.
Jumping Rope Benefits
Jumping rope is also a very effective workout and can give you a lot of benefits. It strengthens your muscles and is very beneficial for your heart and lungs. If you have never jumped rope before, you can start jumping rope for a short time initially and gradually increase the time, which will help you reduce weight.
If you want to lose weight, then you can use climbing stairs. Climbing and descending stairs every day help burn calories from your body. With this, you can burn 600-700 calories in a day. It makes your lower body strong and reduces your weight fast. It puts more pressure on your joints and knees, so you should do it carefully.
It is not a very intense workout, but it can help you lose weight. Cycling is no better option if you want to lose weight in sports. You can cycle in the gym or at home if you can’t cycle outside. You start by cycling for half an hour every day and gradually progress. You will get a lot of benefits from this.
If you are interested in swimming, you can also lose weight through this. It helps in keeping your whole body healthy and fit. Even if you swim for some time, you can burn 30-35 calories. Swimming keeps you in shape and also strengthens your muscles. So, swimming is a great way to lose weight.
Now, you must understand how vital cardio is in everyone’s lifestyle. So, start incorporating these exercises today and improve your cardio fitness.
In conclusion, understanding and prioritizing cardio fitness is essential for overall health, beyond the misconception of it merely being for weight loss. Cardio exercises positively impact heart and lung health, combat aging effects, and offer a range of benefits, from weight management to improved mental well-being. With diverse exercise options, including running, jumping rope, and cycling, individuals can tailor routines to their preferences, gradually enhancing cardio fitness for a healthier lifestyle.