Thinking of the benefits of Soy protein, it is a protein powerhouse. It is a complete protein containing all 9 essential amino acids shown to support healthy growth in children and infants. One of the best sources of plant-based proteins, it is low in fat and is free of saturated fat and cholesterol. One ounce, or approximately 28 grams, of soy protein isolate powder, contains:
- Calorie count – 95
- 1 gram of fat
- 2-gram carbs
- Fibre-1.6 gram
- 23 grams of protein
- Iron- 25% of the Daily Value
- Phosphorus–22% of the Daily Value
- Copper-22% of the Daily Value
- Manganese-21% of the Daily Value
In short, it is a legume that consists of plant-based protein with low saturated fat and no cholesterol. If you want to avoid meat consumption, you can consume soy instead of meat. Being a complete protein, it serves all purposes with the best results.
Benefits of Soy Protein vs Whey Isolate
Both isolates have about 90% protein and both have all nine essential amino acids. Both strengthen muscles, tissues and bones.
|Whey is made from cow’s milk.||Soy is made from ground soybeans.|
Helps reduce blood pressure.
|Decreases risk of heart diseases|
Helps with weight loss
Lactose-free and vegan
|Drawbacks||Not vegan friendly|
Lactose can be challenging for some people to digest.
|Often genetically modified|
Less effective in the body compared to animal proteins
Related ReadingsPea or Soy Protein: Which is Best? Or the 2 together?
Soy Vs. Whey: The Differences in Essential Amino Acid Content
Essential amino acids cannot be synthesized by the body and are obtained through diet. Soy and Whey are complete proteins with all 9 EAAs, but they have very different amino acid content (per 100g)
|EAAs||Whey Protein||Soy Protein|
Types of Soy Protein
- Protein Isolate
- Protein Concentrate
- Textured Soy Protein
What is Soy Protein Isolate?
After Soy produces white flakes, the concentrate is centrifuged to obtain the most effective protein content, the isolated soy protein powder. However, because ethanol extraction is omitted, the isoflavone levels remain greater than concentrate. Therefore, men worried about estrogen should avoid high doses of isolate.
What is Soy Protein Concentrate?
The concentrate is made by removing the fat from soybeans, leaving a white, flaky material behind. After adding an ethanol extract to neutralize the pH, the flakes are firm enough to sell or use in prepared meals. A low level of isoflavones is due to ethanol extraction.
What is Textured Soy Protein?
Texted soy protein is mainly found in animal-based sources. In short, it originated from Concentrate. It is often added to dishes to improve their taste, texture, and nutritional value.
How to Use Soy Protein Powder?
- Add to smoothie
- Mix in your recipe
- Make your flavored protein shake
- Mix in batter
Is organic soy protein safe for you?
Soybeans may be consumed whole or processed into products like tofu, tempeh, and various meat substitutes. Soy milk is also trendy. It also makes the best plant-based protein powder.
The Powder is produced from defatted and washed soybean flakes. That removes sugar and fibre. Sometimes these are washed in alcohol too. Then, they’re dehydrated and powdered. This product is low in fat and cholesterol.
Therefore, organic soy protein is safe primarily for people unless they are allergic to soy.
How much protein is required by our bodies?
A healthy adult requires a minimum of 25 grams or more of protein each day to obtain the desired results. In short, 25 grams of protein equals 1 14 cup tofu, 1-ounce soy flour, and 1-2 cups soymilk.
Wondering what soy protein could do for your health? It is not just limited to vegans or vegetarians. Non-vegetarians can also enjoy a lot of health benefits from its nutritional ingredients.
Read on these benefits to look better, and feel even better.
- Promotes Heart Health
Twenty-five grams of soy protein a day may reduce the risk of heart disease. It reduces not only cholesterol but also triglycerides. As a result, it lowers the chances of heart disease. It will both improve healthy veins and blood flow to the heart.
- An Excellent Alternative to Meat Protein
People, who avoid meat protein, can easily consume soy protein as an excellent alternative source of meat protein. It is the best plant-based protein available in the market today. Furthermore, soy protein can substitute animal-based food that contributes to saturated fatty acids.
- Maintains a Healthy Weight
Soy protein also helps promotes satiety (feeling of fullness) which can help with weight management.
- Lowers Cholesterol Level
Soy protein has the potential to reduce the bad cholesterol known as LDL in the body. It neutralizes the LDL cholesterol level in our body without impacting the good cholesterol or HDL in our body.
- Provides Muscle Support
Soy protein supports exercise performance, especially for athletes needing protein for muscle-building. It also helps reduce the breakdown of lean muscle and boost muscle growth. A new study shows that soy protein may be able to stimulate muscle protein synthesis, which helps build muscle mass and strength.
- Helps with Menopause Symptoms
Soy is high in isoflavones, which help to improve menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes. A study has shown that adding a half cup of soybean to a plant-based diet helps in an 84% reduction to moderate to severe hot flashes.
Also, soy protein contains plant-based estrogens that are often used in women to combat menopause. Furthermore, it helps to protect women from calcium loss and maintains a healthy heart.
- Controls Obesity and Diabetics
Soy protein works both for diabetics and obesity. Soy protein helps lower the insulin level in our body, which gives rise to high blood sugar. Also, consuming soy protein keeps you full for a long time and thus promotes healthy weight management.
- Work as Energy Booster
As we know, soy protein contains all 9 essential amino acids. The amino acids present in soy protein are utilized by our body that converts them into energy.
- Work as Pregnancy Tonic
If you are pregnant, you must include soy protein in your regular diet. It is because fortified milk is a reliable vitamin D source of vitamin D. Therefore, it helps both the mother and the baby be stronger and healthier.
Also, as a mother, if you are lactose-intolerant, you can consume soy milk as the best alternative.
- Improves Sleep
If you are going through a sleep disorder or insomnia, including soy protein in your daily diet can get you a good night’s sleep. But you must consume in moderate proportion as it is high in magnesium which can cause sleep disturbance leading to restlessness during bedtime.
Side Effects of Soy Protein
Now that you are aware of the essential health benefits of soy protein, you must also know the side effects of over-consumption of soy protein.
- It is not helpful for muscle soreness or recovery
- It elevates the estrogen level in the body
- It does not improve the symptoms of enlarged prostate
- It can lead to breathing problems, rashes, and itches for people who are allergic to Soy
- It can cause nausea, constipation, and bloating
How to add Soy Protein to your diet?
The best way to consume soy protein is by adding it to your daily diet. In this way, you will get all the essential nutrition from Soy. So, you must include soy-based dishes or meals either for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Soy and Oats Pancake
- Soy Stuffed Sandwich with Multigrain Bread
- Soy Milk Protein Shakes
- Soy Cutlets
- Soy Stuffed Wraps
- Soy Kebabs
- Chili Soy Stir Fry
- Zucchini Stuffed with Soy and Baked
- Thai Soybeans in Cabbage Cups
- Soya Florentine
- Minced Soy Spaghetti
- Minced Soya Stuffed Omelettes
- Soy Sticks/Wafers
11 Best Organic Soy Protein Powders
Are you looking for the best vegan protein powder on the market? It is important to note that not all plant-based proteins are equal. When it comes to ingredients, flavors, taste, and amount of protein, a few solid choices rise to the top.
Let’s explore in detail:
Myprotein® MYVEGAN Soy Protein Isolate
- Contains Soy protein isolate & Stevia leaf extract, natural flavor & salt
- Naturally flavored Vanilla
- Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
- Nutritional Facts: One 30g serving of soy protein powder offers 25g protein, 100 calories, 1g Carb, 0g fat, Sodium & Calcium.
- Best soy protein powder for weight loss
Bob’s Red Mill Soy Protein Powder
- This dairy-free, unsweetened soy protein powder is a simple method for vegans and vegetarians to boost their protein consumption.
- To ensure the quality of gluten-free goods, the company has a separate facility and uses an ELISA Gluten Assay test in a quality control laboratory.
- Nutritional Facts: One 20g serving of soy protein powder offers 17g of protein, 80 calories, 1g fat, 0g Carbs, Sodium, Calcium & Iron.
Soy Protein Isolate Powder by Horbaach
- Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Unflavored
- Soy Protein Isolate from Non-GMO Soybeans
- Lab-tested, high-quality ingredients, guaranteed! Contains no wheat, yeast, artificial flavour, sweetener, or preservatives.
- One 30gm serving of soy protein powder offers 25 grams protein, 110 calories, 0gm fat, 0gm Carbs, Sodium & Calcium.
Energizing Soy Protein- Creamy Cocoa
- As the name says, it’s an energizing soy protein that boosts energy in the daily diet.
- Available in a rich, creamy cocoa flavor that instils a feeling of goodness in oneself. It assures the highest quality, and biologically it is a complete soy protein.
- It acts as an extra energy booster for the health post-workout. It is best used as a shake protein.
- Nutritional Facts: One 28g serving of soy protein powder offers 14g protein, 110 calories, 1gm fat, 10gm carbs, total sugar – 8g, and Sodium & Calcium.
Naturade Total Soy Protein Powder
- This vanilla protein smoothie powder has only 13gm protein but 24 vitamins and minerals.
- Drinking lots of water and eating nutritious whole foods can help you lose weight quickly. Replace one meal with a smoothie and do 30-60 minutes of mild activity 4 days a week.
- This lactose-free, gluten-free vanilla shake is created with non-GMO soy to assist women and men lose weight.
- Nutritional Facts: One 36gm serving of soy protein powder offers 13 grams of protein, 140 calories, 0gm fat, 17gm Carbs, Fiber-1gm, Vitamin A, C, D, E and minerals.
BulkSupplements.com Soy Protein Isolate
- Bulksupplements Pure soy protein isolate powder is a flavourless protein that may be used in smoothies, baking, and cooking. It’s perfect for people with delicate palates.
- Soy Protein Isolate is high in BCAAs which may assist with muscle repair after a hard workout.
- Soy protein isolate is completely vegan and vegan friendly. It’s also lactose-free so that you can enjoy your favourite dishes without concern.
- One 33g serving of soy protein powder offers 27g of protein, 117 calories, 0g fat, 1g Carb, Vitamins and minerals.
Bulk soy protein powder is my favorite with 92 per cent calories from protein. Besides with zero fat and only a gram of carbs, it is almost an “only protein” powder.
With no added flavours and compact packaging, Bulksupplements Soy Protein Isolate is one of the cheapest protein powders available. By minimising fat gain while increasing lean muscle mass, this vegan soy protein powder benefits muscle growth while minimising fat gain.
NOW Sports Nutrition Soy Protein Isolate
- The amino acid profile of Soy Protein Isolate is excellent.
- The GMP accreditation implies that every part of the production process, including laboratory/testing procedures, has been scrutinised for stability, potency, and product formulation.
- One 24g serving of soy protein powder offers 20g of protein, 90 calories, 0.5g fat, 0g carb, and minerals.
Almased Meal Replacement Shake
- Almased is a meal replacement smoothie. This smoothie contains soy protein, yogurt, and honey.
- Almased lowers insulin levels and curbs hunger and sugar cravings.
- 8 tbsp Almased in 10-12 oz bottled or filtered water, skim milk, or unsweetened almond milk
- Almased contains NO artificial flavours, fillers, added sugars, preservatives, stimulants, gluten or genetically modified ingredients
- One 50gm serving of soy protein powder offers 27grams protein, 180 calories, 1gm fat, 15gm Carbs, Vitamins & minerals.
Natural Nutra Organic Soy Protein Isolate
- Contains more antioxidants, minerals, phytochemicals, and isoflavones than other protein powders. Soy protein isoflavones support hormonal, digestive, bone, and menopausal health.
- It is good for making vegan protein shakes that help regulate blood sugar, curb cravings, burns fat, and builds lean muscle.
- This gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, and non-GMO powder contains 12 oz.
- One 34gm serving of soy protein powder offers 17grams protein, 140 calories, 2gm fat, 14gm Carbs & minerals.
Herbal Secrets Organic Soy Protein Isolate
- This Soy Protein Isolate is 100% herbal and true to its ingredients. It is rich in isoflavones and low in carbs.
- It contributes to multiple health benefits such as improving cardiovascular health, supporting overall health and well-being, and developing a healthy diet.
- It’s non-GMO and unflavored.
- Nutritional Facts: One 24g serving of soy protein powder offers 20g protein, 90 calories, 0g fat, carbs <0.5g & minerals.
So, Soy is a healthy source of complete protein for our daily diet. It is considered very nutritious than any animal-based protein source. Just make sure you eat moderately throughout the week by watching how much you eat at each meal.
Also, if you are allergic to soy, you must avoid it altogether to prevent any allergic reaction.